Thursday 11 August 2011

Spring Cleaning


Image002

Today I woke up feeling ready for an adventure.  The spring air was alive with vibrant smells, noisy birds chirping and squirrels chattering.  I was so excited to start my day that I skipped my breakfast and ran right out my doggy door.  When I got into the backyard, I dove into the hedgerow and began rolling in a bush of red berries and soft green leaves.  It felt so good to be outside and free in the fresh spring air.  Wintertime is lovely but I get so cold and can’t find the fun in a runny nose and frozen toes.  Springtime was exhilarating!  The strange bunny was kicking his furry feet into the air and even those lazy cats came out to bathe in the long green blades of grass.

As I was hunkering down behind a rock, waiting for the deranged rabbit to pass by me, I saw Monica and Chevy walking up our driveway with a big box in hand.  I ran out to greet them and Chevy pounced from afar.  She and I rolled down the hill and landed in a heap near the garage door.  It was always great fun to see Chevy and we never had a dull moment when we were together.  As Monica closed the front door behind her, we scrambled up to the house and through my little entrance.  What on earth was that big box for?

Chevy and I grabbed a quick drink from my water bowl and chased Monica down the hall to Belinda and John’s bedroom.  It was at that moment that I stopped in my tracks to gaze in disbelief.  Belinda and Monica were packing up my lovely plaid Chihuahua dog bed and many of my 

Chihuahua outfits into the big box that Monica had brought.  I couldn’t believe my eyes and Chevy let out a little whimper when she noticed how sad I looked.  If there is one thing that I really enjoy, it’s being dressed up in all of my fancyChihuahua collars and Chihuahua outfits and taken out for a drive or out shopping with Belinda.  What would I do now?  Would I have to leave the house naked?

Belinda saw how upset I looked and laughed when she saw me begin to shake.  I don’t see anything funny about this devastation but apparently she found it quite amusing.  Monica looked over and giggled.  “Is he really that upset about cleaning his closet?” Monica asked.  “Buster,” Belinda said.  “If you only knew how silly you looked, all because we are giving some of your old puppy clothes to Chevy!” Belinda laughed.  I cocked my head to one side and shifted my gaze to Chevy, who was bumbling around the room and chasing her tail.  I jumped up onto the bed and stood up with my front paws pressed against the ominous box that was eating up all of my adorable clothes.  Upon further inspection, I noticed that all of the outfits were very old, from when I was just a puppy.  The plaid doggy bed was sort of small, too, and since I sleep with Belinda and John, I guess I wasn’t really going to miss it.  I peeked over toward my dresser drawer and saw all of my favorite Chihuahua outfits and Chihuahua collars still tucked neatly inside.  I do tend to be a bit dramatic at times, I suppose.

Once the box was all filled up, Monica closed it up and put Chevy onto her leash.  As they left, they both gave me kisses and thanked me for all of the wonderful hand-me-downs.  When I went back into the bedroom, I saw a little box on the bed all tied up with shiny paper and a big blue bow.  Belinda came in behind me with a big smile on her face.  “Monica and Chevy left this here for you because they wanted to thank you for being so generous and kind!” Monica said as we opened the pretty box.  When I opened it up, I was so excited that my big eyes lit up with delight!  Inside was a little gold necklace with a square charm hanging from it.  When Belinda opened the charm, there was a picture of Chevy and me that Monica took during our sleepover!  What a beautiful little gift.  It’s something that I will cherish forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment