Wednesday 26 October 2011

The Grand Vacation Part 2


Image002

It felt like forever that I had been in the car and I began to whimper and yip.  “Buster, I hope you are not going to be this impatient the whole time.  We haven’t even left the city yet!” said Belinda with a cranky look on her face.  “Maybe you should let him out, honey.  He wants to look out the windows,” said John.  Yes, that was exactly what I wanted; that and a bacon treat!  Belinda agreed and opened my travel crate.  I jumped out enthusiastically and put my front paws up on the side window of the van.  What a day, what a day!

I loved the van.  The seats were really, really big and comfy and everything was zooming around me outside of the huge windows.  Our entire luggage fit neatly into the roof compartment so I had the whole van to run around in.  The side seats folded down into a bed and there was even a table, a microwave, and a mini fridge!  As I looked out the window, I could see my whole world whizzing past me.  Big station wagon cars with freckled faces waving at me chugged along beside the van.  Trucks with big dogs hanging out of the windows flew by and gobs of drool clung to the outsides of the windows.  Sports cars with women on cell phones and old cars with old men eating bagels speckled the highways.  It seemed like another world when I saw all of these new faces.  In my little town, everything is always the same and I know everyone who lives there.  I felt very, very tiny in a big, big world.

Belinda said she was getting hungry and she tossed me a carob chip cookie.  I jumped to the floor and started munching on the crunch goodness.  Little crumbs clung to my whiskers and I moaned and rolled on the floor, wiping my face the whole time.  We found a funky little lobster shack on the side of the road and decided to stop for a bite.

“Welcome to Maine!” yelled the chubby little woman behind the stand.  She had a white chef hat on and an apron with a big red lobster on the front.  “What can I do for you?”  “We’ll take two lobsters and an order of salt potatoes,” said John.  Belinda and I sat down near the water to see the sunset.  “Look at Maine, Buster.  Isn’t it just beautiful?” said Belinda with a wondrous smile on her face.  It sure was.  We were seated on a picnic bench high on a cliff.  Below us, lobster traps were peeking through the water and a bunch of fishing boats were bobbing lazily on the waves.  The orange and pink sunset was breathtaking across the ocean and the temperature was warm and dry.  The best thing about this place was the smell.  The smell of buttery lobster tails and lots and lots of fish!  Fresh fish, rotten fish, live fish, and dead fish; fish, fish, fish is what comes out of the ocean and that is pretty much all I could think about! 

Chihuahua's love fish! I ran around as Belinda and John were eating and I was lucky enough to find a fish on the ground!  I knew for sure that Belinda would kill me if I rolled in it so I just licked it, instead.  It was delicious!  Salty and smooth, the fish made my tummy rumble.  I ran over to John and he gave me a couple of his potatoes and a bite of his dinner.  It tasted every bit as good as it smelled!  This was our first stop and I was already having the best vacation ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment