Monday 31 October 2011

CHI_Buster Finds a Hermit Crab


Image002

We were all so bored this afternoon.  John didn’t have to work and Belinda just got home from her job.   John and I were playing a game in the backyard when she got home so she caught the tail-end of our romp.  John would put his hand over my eyes and toss a piece of his hamburger into the grass and then tell me to go find it!  I have to admit, it was an awesome game and it had two purposes; to be fun and to fill my tummy with yummy burgers and cheese!

“Hey boys,” said Belinda.  “Who’s up for going to the beach?”  I love going to the beach!  I get to play in the sand and the water and sometimes I even see some fish swim by!  John went to pack a lunch and Belinda went to go find our swimsuits.  I tagged along behind her, barking excitedly and wagging my little tail the whole time.

As Belinda was rummaging around her dresser drawers, I started sniffing through my box, looking for my favorite beach outfit.  I had so many 

Chihuahua clothes and Chihuahua collars.  I have furry and fleecy outfits for Christmas, fancy outfits for Easter, pink and romantic outfits for Valentine’s Day, and dozens of sweaters, pants, tee shirts, and jumpers for everyday wear.  “A ha!  Here’s my swimsuit, Buster,” exclaimed Belinda. “I will wear this and you can wear your yellow tank top and blue shorts.  How’s that sound?”  I barked in agreement and we got ready to go.

John met us outside with the cooler and we headed off for the beach.  When we got there, there weren’t too many people.  It was a hot day but it was near the end of the season so a lot of people had already packed up their summer things and got ready for fall.  We found an empty spot and set up our chairs and our little grill.  I ran off to explore the sandy environment and Belinda sat down under her umbrella to watch me.  I felt my little paws sinking into the white sand.  It was warm and dry and felt good.  I made my way along the shore, sniffing shells and seaweed along my way.  I saw a large curly shell and gave it a good sniffing; to my surprise it started moving!  First one orange leg poked out from under it and then a tiny head peeked around.  Soon, seven more legs followed and the shell scurried along the sand!  I couldn’t believe my eyes when that creature started creeping around so I pawed at it a little bit.  When I touched it, the creature disappeared and when I was quiet, he came out and started running again.  It was the most curious thing I had ever seen!  I decided I wanted a really good look at him so I used my wet nose to push him right over.  There was nothing there!  It was an empty shell.  I licked it and sniffed it and suddenly, with no warning or sound, a big red claw came out of the shell and grabbed my cheek!  “Arghhhhhhhhhhh, wheeeeeeeeeep!”  I ran as fast as I could back to Belinda and John.  John jumped away from his grilling and pried the claw from my face.  The little creature plopped onto the sand and quickly scurried away.  “Oh, Buster, are you alright?  Poor, poor baby!” crooned Belinda.  She grabbed some ice from the cooler and held it on my cheek.  I curled up next to her on her beach blanket.  It would be much safer for me to just wait for some lunch, right here!

If you ever go to the beach, make sure you watch out for moving shells!

No comments:

Post a Comment