Monday 31 October 2011

Finding Happy


Image002
Being at the beach is really a lot of fun.  I had a terrible run in with a hermit crab and he grabbed onto my face without letting go.  Luckily, John was there to get him off of me and Belinda had some ice for my cut.  It hurt really badly but I wasn’t going to let that ruin my whole day!  I’m a really tough little 

Chihuahua and I have too much to see and do to let a little crab ruin my fun!

After my accident, John made some lunch on the grill at the beach.  We had potato salad, pretzels, and hot dogs.  Hot dogs were my favorite because Belinda always sang a funny song about them and it made me laugh inside.  Hot dogs tasted and smelled like pure Heaven.  The only thing better than tasting them is rolling on them!  I wish I could smell like a hot dog all the time but Belinda would strongly disagree!  I quickly ate my foot, snuck a little piece of hot dog to roll in, and ran off to play in the water.

Belinda was worried to let me go after that horrible crab incident, but John told her to stop worrying and let me have my fun.  So, off I went!  I ran toward the water and watched a red boat zoom by.  He was very far off in the water but sent rolling waves into the shore.  I started into the water which rose up to tickle my wet nose.  The waves were a little wild and lifted me right off the ground and plopped me back onto the beach where I had to start all over again!  After a few minutes of being washed back to shore, I was finally able to start swimming out into the lake.

The water was still very warm, even at the end of summer.  It was very relaxing and I was a really good swimmer.  I glided, effortlessly, through the water and I looked around at all of the water birds who were fishing and screaming at each other.   Once in a while I would poke my head under the water to see what was happening below me.  Every time I lifted my head out of the water, I would sneeze a lot.  I could hear Belinda laughing at me from the shore and I would bark at her a few times so she knew that I knew! 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw some fish jumping from the water.  They would come right out and dive back in.  I think they were dodging the birds who were trying to scoop them up.  I felt something brush against my little foot and quickly looked down.  Underneath me was a little sun fish, nibbling at my blue shorts.  I swam right and then left but I couldn’t shake him.  It was alright though, he was very cute and he wasn’t bothering me.  There were some little minnows swarming around and as we passed through a seaweed patch, I thought my little friend had gotten lost.  The slimy green weeds felt funny as they tangled in my short Chihuahua fur.  Once I got out of the patch, I noticed the little nibbles again and knew my friend was back!

My short, little legs were getting really tired so I decided to head back to shore.  I swam back and as the water got shallower, it got warmer.  I was so tired and relaxed that I could have fallen asleep right there in the water!  I finally made it up and felt the little pebbles under my feet.  I walked up onto the beach and turned to take one last look at the lake before I went back to Belinda.  To my surprise, the little blue sunfish was swimming in little circles, like he was waiting for me to come back into the water!  I ran down the shore and he followed.  I ran back the other way and he chased me.  I barked with excitement and he swam in little circles!  How funny this little fish was!

I ran to get Belinda and barked at her sharply.  She knew I was trying to get her to follow me so I took her back to where the little fish was.  I showed her the tricks he could do and she couldn’t believe her eyes.  “I guess you have a friend, Buster!  Should we take him home with us?”  I barked and hopped up and down so high that I fell right over and landed on my side in the sand!  Belinda got a bucket and scooped up the little blue fish.

Once we packed up all of our things, we rushed home and put the little fish into our gigantic fish tank in the family room.  He fit right in with our other fresh water fish.  He looked so happy, swimming up to the top for some food and diving back down to explore the tank.  He would always come to look for me and follow me as I ran circles around the tank.  We named him Happy and I think he was very happy to be a part of our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment