Tuesday 23 August 2011

Busters Fishing Trip


Image002

Last week, John’s friend pulled up in front of the house and he was pulling a big red boat behind his truck.  I was so curious that I put my paws up on the front window and smooshed my wet little nose against the glass.  I just got done eating some oatmeal so I left messy footprints behind on the glass.  Belinda came to get me and we followed John out to see his friend.

“Hey John,” said Mike with a smile.  “Here she is; all ready for your fun day of fishing.”  John took the keys from Mike and gave him our car keys.  “Thanks again, Mike, we really appreciate it.”  Mike smiled and waved as he pulled out of our driveway in John’s car.  He beeped twice as was out of sight.  “So, are you two excited to go out on the boat or what?” Belinda was very excited; she already had a big picnic basket packed and a bag full of towels, extra clothes, and sunscreen waiting on the front porch.  “I cannot wait to get out on that boat, John.  We should get our own, it’s so much fun!”  I had no idea we were going for a boat ride!  I was probably the most excited of anyone; especially when I ran up to the picnic basket and smelled the chicken and biscuits Belinda had packed.

Belinda took me inside and dressed me in that insanely silly sailor suit 

Chihuahua outfit that I didn’t like.  I suppose it was fitting, though, since I was about to be a captain and all.  Once I was ready, we grabbed the pile of stuff and the fishing poles and headed to the lake.

John backed the boat into the water and Belinda and I jumped aboard.  Before we knew it, we were gliding over the water and little droplets were spraying all over my whiskers.  I was so wet that it looked like I just got out of the bathtub, but it was a hot day and it was refreshing.  The smell of fish wafted through the air and it was delicious!  I’d give anything to find a fish to roll on; that’s really satisfying!

Once we reached a nice spot, John dropped anchor and began to put the worms on the poles.  One of them fell to the floor and I immediately snatched it up!  Belinda thought that was really disgusting but I was too fast for her and I gobbled up that squirmy little worm before anyone could stop me!  As Belinda and John were fishing, I ran from one end of the boat to the other; barking and jumping around.  Being on a boat was fun, fun, fun!  The warm sunshine, the gentle rocking back and forth, the smell of fish in the air, and a picnic basket full of chicken was more than I could ever wish for!

A moment later, John yelled that he had a bite!  He reeled in a nice big silver fish and put him in a bowl with water.  Belinda said that she would take it home and we could eat it for dinner!  How exciting!  They wanted to catch a couple more before we left so as they were fishing, I was watching that fish that was flopping so much he almost jumped out of the bowl!  He looked so fun; he was slippery and fast, and he smelled delightful.  I moved closer and grabbed his tail with my teeth.  He was being still so I pulled him out onto the ground with me.  He started to flip flop all the way over to the end of the boat so I quick jumped onto him.

In a flash, that fish had somehow hooked himself onto my Chihuahua collar and we both flopped right overboard!  In a big splash, water soaked Belinda’s feet and I yelped so loudly that the people on another boat heard my cries!  John got the great big net and scooped me out of the water.  I was dripping wet, my ears were back, and my clothes were soggy.  Belinda and John laughed and laughed and so did the people on the other boat!  “At least we’re not going home empty handed,” laughed John.  Everyone started clapping as I shook off and found a corner to go be embarrassed in.  The next time we go fishing, I’m not getting involved with any fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment